Butterfly Pea

I have been nurturing this for few years now. The beauty and radiance never fail to impress me. That is my butterfly pea plants. There are two of them, living in flower pots. Prior to growing this plant, I don't know why people like to plant butterfly pea, but after reading some articles about the benefits of the plants I think it is wise if I grow one. And my other aunt happened to give me some seed from her garden that time. Hence I grew it. 

My multi-layered butterfly pea flower.

Planting butterfly pea is not difficult, especially when you grow them on the ground. In the pot, they just need more care, enough water and nutrients. And when it flowers it is so lovely. Striking blue flowers and mine is multiple layers flower.

Oh I almost forgot, one think that you cannot do when growing this plant is not to grow chives nearby. Both plants' growth will slow down and plant might get sick. 

Butterfly peas...

I read in articles that the whole plant is edible but i have not tried it yet. I just drink the flower's blue tea with lemon juice, sometimes without. People in my village use it to make blue colored rice called 'nasi kerabu'. It is a healthy delicious rice comprising of rice, vegetable salad, fried grated coconut with fish and fresh onion, lemongrass, sliced chili and fish sauce. It is eaten with fried fish or grilled spiced chicken or meat and keropok (fish cracker) and salted egg. I like the rice and I am already drooling while writing this. 😅 The flower is added while cooking the rice to give the rice the blue color.

Fish cracker


The famous benefit of butterfly pea flower is treating diabetes. Our ancestors are said to boil it with lemongrass to treat diabetes. I also read some research papers about it. I drink it for its antioxidant properties. And it also a good anti depressant and reduce stress. It does boost my mood, and tighten my skin. (That is why I love it). It is also said to increase brain activity and good also for women's health.

And, the butterfly tea with lemon juice and honey is just refreshing. Love it. 😘

It blooms. The flowers look like blue bells from afar. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Rice Turmeric Scrub 2

Brazilian Spinach : How To Care

SEA Beauty Secret : Hibiscus and Pandan Hair Mask