Brazilian Spinach : How To Care

Brazilian Spinach, or Sissoo Spinach, or Poor Man's Spinach is the name of a shiny crunchy small shrub plant which is also edible. I got this plant cuttings last year. In the beginning I did not have any idea what it is. I was looking at my aunt's plants when I noticed a pot of shiny shrub. They are so cute because they grow like a small bush with shiny green leaves. They look edible. I asked my aunt about the plant. And my aunt said it is Brazilian Spinach. It can be eaten raw or cooked. My cousin bought the spinach from fresh market and my aunt regrow the stems.

Brazilian Spinach seedlings.

I grew them in my container garden. They survived thank to God. Now I have 5 pots of it and I don't know where to plant them anymore. I put some in my DIY square container and some more in pots.

They grow well. Even though sometimes I forgot to water them. Brazilian Spinach loves rich soil. Below are some tips to grow Brazilian Spinach from my experience.

Love Rich Soil
Brazilian Spinach loves rich soil. Green leafy plants loves soil which are rich in nitrogen. Mix your potting soil with compost and top up more on the soil surface between the plants frequently. They usually loves it. I bought ordinary basic soil from the nursery and mix them with dried leaves, branches and kitchen waste and also egg shell. I leave it for a week or two until the kitchen waste biodegrade. Then I plant the cuttings in it. 

Water Daily
Brazilian Spinach needed to be watered daily if it is not raining. This is to prevent the leaves from becoming dry and crispy. We want to eat soft but crunchy leaves in our salad. 

Loves Damp But Well Drained Area
This green bushy plant loves damp but well drained soil. Grow them in a damp and rich nutrient area. They usually grow healthy. 

Loves Semi Shaded Area
Besides damp but well drained soil, Brazilian Spinach loves to reside in a semi shaded area. Like on the balcony or corridor. 

Loves Organic Fertilizer and Compost
Like mentioned above, Brazilian Spinach loves organic fertilizers and compost. The do like non organic too. But you can save your money by using things you already have at home. Rice water, coffee grounds, vegetable peels are some of the food they loves. 

Always Trim Before It Yield Flower
Brazilian Spinach needed to be trimmed often so that they can expand and become more bushy. Trimming also should be done before their white flower bloom or the leaves may taste less better. Trimming also makes them not to become too tall. 


So that are some tips for growing Brazilian Spinach. Some insects may also loves them. Use organic pesticide to repel these insects from the plants, or just pick them and transfer them away. For me, sometimes I just let them eat some of the leaves, if they are not invasive. After all, good things are meant to be shared. = )




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Rice Turmeric Scrub 2

SEA Beauty Secret : Hibiscus and Pandan Hair Mask