Lemon Basil and Roselle

This post is written on 2018 and transferred here. 

Last week I went to my small backyard garden to spray my homemade pesticide to my plants. There are a big colony of ants and white aphid in my garden which I always fight with... They stay in the soil and on the plants, behind the leaves and on the stems. I mixed 1/4 teaspoon of dish soap, a few drops of cooking oil and 2 cups of pipe water. Then I spray to the area  where the ants and aphids are. Of course there are still half of them left but the damage they cause to my garden can be reduced. Some people spray them daily to ensure they did not disturb the plants, especially on chili plants.

After spraying the plants with pesticide, I noticed that my lemon basil has turned from one small plant to a small bush which is about 1.2 feet height. I then trimmed it to less 1 feet height to promote more leaves growth. I then regrow some of the stem into my cherry tomato, mulberry, chili and lemongrass pots. The remaining lemon basil I brought in the kitchen and start thinking what to cook with it. And then it last in my fried instant noodle with dried shrimp, and my homemade pizza. In future I plan to make some lemon basil tea with it. Here people call it kemangi. 

I have two big roselle tree (hibiscus sabdariffa) which is about 4 feet height in the pot. They have less leaves and have been attacked with white aphid severely. There are now in the process of recovering, but still producing fruits. I really love picking the calyxes and turn them into roselle cordial and jam. 
The leaves also can be eaten and been used in various cooking in various countries around the world. However I just boiled it with some water and few drops of oil and eat them with hot rice. It taste sour, but I like the taste. 

That day I went back into the kitchen with some fresh lemon basil,  a few roselle calyxes and a happy and grateful feeling. = )

Lemon Basil and Roselle Calyxes

Roselle seeds and seed pods




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Rice Turmeric Scrub 2

Brazilian Spinach : How To Care

SEA Beauty Secret : Hibiscus and Pandan Hair Mask